Friday 15 July 2011

A Step Nearer

I was a mere child of 8 during the 1992-93 blasts and riots that rocked Mumbai and India - in extension (Every thing that rocks Mumbai rocks India - in extension. Otherwise won't they target places in the remote interior corners of the country?!). I have very few memories of that time. Most of what I know is from what I have heard. Given my age, my parents (I think) did not discuss the events that unfolded in my presence. However, I heard a lot of things at school and on the school-bus (main source of education and learning, even more than the classroom itself!). They were gruesome, yes. Even then I remember thinking that people cannot be as evil as described. I still do not know if the school bus stories were real or mere figments of wild, unhampered, young imagination. During the following years, due to no such unfortunate event, the memory of '92-'93 faded away and I naively assumed that terrorism in India had come to a near end - there were just the wars along the borders. And of course, I was very far away from them! Not in my vicinity!

Roughly a decade after, followed the blasts on the London Underground and at other major metropolitan cities across Europe and of course, the 9/11! (I may have got the order incorrect). But every time, it seemed as if the blasts happened in places where I could not possibly imagine me and/or my parents and relatives to be. This strengthened my feeling that nothing of this sort would happen in my vicinity. I started believing that I would be safe, no matter what. This did not happen in my vicinity!

Back in India, the first decade of the new millenium saw a series of blasts throughout the country - Bangalore, Delhi, Jaipur - to name a few. Again, not in my vicinity! Mumbai was not left out, of course. There were blasts on local trains, near railway stations and at super markets. Again, these were places me and my family did not frequent - Bombay Central, Vile Parle and Mulund Railway Stations. And there were others at Zaveri Bazaar and Gate Way of India. Again, not in my vicinity! Though close to the areas I frequent and certainly close to my father's office. This was the first step nearer.

Next came the one of the most gruesome firings at Hotels Taj Mahal & Oberoi-Trident and Nariman House. Though not frequented, these were places that hosted conferences and exhibitions which I did attend. Also, I visited other places that are in the vicinity of these. This was the next step nearer.

And the most recent on July 13th at Dadar. DADAR! Do I frequent it? Yes! Is it in my vicinity? Yes!! Do I know many people visiting that place? Hell YES!! It's like a huge, homely super market!

With every planned activity, are they getting a step nearer?

No comments: